Information we collect
We collect three kinds of information from visitors to our website to help improve the way we present information on the website and to be able to deliver council services:
- Feedback (through our website feedback forms, emails and calls to our customer service centres). This information is used to help improve web content or functionality.
- Site usage information from log files and web analytics applications. Internal reports compiled from this data help us to identify and improve key site areas and to monitor take up of services accessed through the website. It does not contain personal information.
- Personal information if you complete an online form or register to log in to the site. The information you provide when you register or on online forms will only be used to provide you with services you request from the council by using the site. This information will be covered by the privacy notice for the relevant service area.
The legal basis for processing your data is to enable the council to fulfil its obligations to provide you with services and information about those services, and to improve its process for doing so.
Providing accurate information
It is important that we hold accurate and up to date information about you in order to assess your needs and delivery the appropriate services. If any of your details have changed, or change in the future, please ensure that you inform us as soon as possible so that we can update your records.
Protecting your data
Under the Data Protection Act we have a legal duty to protect any information we collect from you. We do this by:
- Using leading technologies and encryption software to safeguard your data
- Keeping strict security standards to prevent unauthorised access to your data
- Not passing on your details to any third party or government department unless you give us permission to do so or where allowed by law
All personal data held, is processed in accordance with data protection law. The Data Controller for the information outlined in this privacy notice is Herefordshire Council.
We will only keep your information for the minimum period necessary. The privacy notices for the service areas outline how long information will be held for in relation to that service area. All information will be held securely and destroyed under confidential conditions.
Access to information we hold about you
You have the right to make a formal request in writing for access to personal information (or "personal data") held about you by our website, to inspect it and to have it corrected or erased if it is wrong.
You also have a right to make a complaint about our handling of your personal data to the Information Commissioner’s Office.